Find Us On:

Halton Trinity 

Methodist Church, Runcorn

About our Church

With a history dating back to 1875 our church has plenty of history and information which you can read about in this section.

 We have compiled information from a large variety of sources.

The History 

Halton Trinity was built in 1875 by a local business man, Thomas Hazlehurst. Our church is the last one of the 12 Methodist Chapels which Thomas Hazlehurst designed and constructed in Runcorn and Widnes.


The church has not always looked the way which it has today, on September 7th 1974 the church was re-opened following a refurbishment and the interior of the church was changed, most of the work can still be seen today. 


In 2012 following a grant from, Wren the Church Hall and Kitchen received a refurbishment with the Kitchen being completely striped out and refitted with brand new worktops and cooking equipment as well as a new serving hatch.

The Highfield Male Voice Choir also supported our redecoration of the church and painted the church hall which helped to brighten the room.


Most recently the church has been working with the Princess Trust who have come in over several weeks and worked with the church to decorate areas to help livened the church up. The Welcome Hall and the Coffee Lounge all received a new coat of paint and the notice board in the welcome hall was decorated to show the four seasons, which is also shown by the colours in our church logo.

The Designer

The Church was designed and built by Thomas Hazlehurst (17th April 1816 - 14 July 1876) who was known nationally as 'The Chapel Builder' and locally as 'The Prince of Methodism' or 'The Prince of the Wesleyan's. Thomas Hazlehurst earned these titles due to his generosity in paying wholly, or largely, for the construction of 12 Methodist Chapels and 3 Schools to be built in the Halton Area.


Thomas Hazlehurst's farther, also called Thomas Hazlehurst, was the founder and owner of a extremely profitable soap and alkali company, Hazlehurst and Sons, which was founded in Runcorn in 1816, the year which Thomas Hazlehurst was born.


Thomas Hazlehurst's wealth was derived from two locations. In 1851 his first wife, Eliza, passed away from tuberculosis leaving him around £60,000. Thomas also earned a salary of £6,000 a year from the family business where he and his brother, Charles Hazlehurst, served as directors from 1859 to 1875. During his 16 years as a company director Thomas earned around £96,000. The majority of this money was spent on designing and building his 12 chapel and 3 schools.


The 12 Churches which Thomas Hazlehurst designed and funded are:

Year
 Chapel Name
 Location
 Comments
 Cost
1858
Eden Chapel at Five Crosses
  Frodsham
  A Hamlet to the east of Frodsham
 UnKnown
1860
  Hough Green (Ditton) Chapel
  Widnes
.
 £850
1861
  Halebank Chapel
  Widnes
 
 £900
1862
  Camden Chapel and School
  Runcorn
  Thomas made a large donation towards contruction
 Donation
1864 
  Victoria Road Chapel
  Widnes
  The largest chapel built by Thomas as of 1864.
 £3,350
1864
  Widnes Dock Chapel
  Widnes
  Thomas donated a sum of £3,000
 £3,000
1866
  St Paul's Chapel
  Runcorn
  Built on land donated by the family buisness on High Street.
 £8,000
1870
  Camden School Expansion
  Runcorn
  The School building was enlarged to increase capacity.
 Donation
1871
  Halton Road Chapel
  Runcorn
.
 £8,000
1871
  Hurst Chapel
  Kingsley
  Thomas paid half the cost and paid off the old chapels dedt.
 Unknown
1872
  Weston Point Chapel
  Runcorn
.
 Unknown
1873
  Trinity Chapel
  Frodsham
.
 £7,000
1873
  Weston Day School
  Runcorn
 
 Unknown
1875
  Halton Trinity and Day School
  Rucnorn
  The only one of his Hazlehurts chapel still in use, in Runcorn, today.
 Unknown

The Organ

The Pipe Organ is an integral part of the Church's design and is often the first thing that people notice when they enter the worship area of the Church.

The organ is used weekly during our Sunday services creating amazing sounds which are complemented by the churches fantastic acoustics which fill the church.

The organ has been part of the Church since it was first built 150 years ago and has been used throughout the years having only minor alterations to ensure that it is still operational and in tune.

We also have an electric Piano which is used as well.

The Local Area

Halton Trinity Methodist Church is located along Main Street in Halton Village. The Village has been a vital part of Runcorn since it was first inhabited. Main Street runs the entire length of the village, which was the name suggests, make Main Street the 'Main' road through the village. At one end of Main Street is Seneschal's House, Grade II Listed building, which is the oldest standing building in Runcorn.


Across the Road is the local Royal British Legion, Veterans Rally War Museum and Bowling Green. The Veterans Rally Museum is located within the grounds of the local Legion and ran by volunteers from the Legions History Society. Also on the other side of the road, up the hill, lies the remains of Halton Castle, The Castle Inn and St Mary's Church and Hall.


A foot path leads from main street and runs along the side of the church directly to Runcorn Shopping Centre and Trident Retail Park which contains a variety of Shops, Cafes and Attractions as well as connecting to the bus station where buses connect locations throughout Halton and surrounding towns and cities.